Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Probably a Little Anti-Climactic

As the title suggests, I don't find these as interesting as the past few posts. Today I sat back, took it easy, and made crispy, chewy chocolate chip cookies. [Yes, another SmittenKitchen recipe: Have I mentioned how much I love SK?]


Somewhere between the last time I made cookies and now, I heard that the secret to a great chewy/textured cookie lies in the ratio of saturated to unsaturated fats. Apparently the ideal ratio is 2:1 (butter ftw) or something like that. But I wouldn't know exactly since I opted not to be a food science major, way too much chemistry involved.


I decided to test this out by replacing 1/4 cup of butter with canola oil, bringing it closer to the ideal ratio though not quite. I also dialed down the temperature to 300, figuring that the oil would have a much lower smoking point. The first batch retained their ice cream scoop shape, because of course I forgot that my cookies NEVER want to spread. I think it's because I always set my oven to convection-bake (which bakes things in half the time!), but at any rate I always have to smoosh them down a tad to make them flatter.


The end result was pretty good, though I find them a bit cakey. I used to do this thing where I would switch between three different cooking sheets for 5 minute intervals and then flash freeze them for a few minutes after a minute of cooling down. That worked beautifully. But since two of my cookie sheets are at college, and because I am lazy beyond all hope, I just let them sit this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment